If you own a home or have a driveway, you may have the luxury of being able to wash your own car. If you live in an apartment or condo building, you may not have the ability to do so. So if you do, take advantage of the opportunity!
Keeping your car clean is important for a number of different reasons. First, it helps to protect the overall integrity of your vehicle and ensure that it has maximum resell value in the future. Second, it also helps you and your passengers feel more comfortable on the road. Third, clean windows and windshield are vital to be able to see the road clearly at all angles.
While it may be tempting to grab a hose and go at it, there are certain things you want to avoid when washing your own car that can comprise its overall integrity. Here are the dos and don'ts of washing your own vehicle:
- Don't use an old shirt or rag to do the washing. A microfiber cloth or specially made cloth for vehicles is recommended because it won't cause scratches to the paint.
- Don't forget to dry your vehicle as well - leaving water drops tends to makes marks
- Try using two buckets rather than just one. That way, you can use one bucket for the dirty soap and water and one for the clean to avoid rubbing your car with dirt and debris in the dirty water.
- Try using a carpet brush to get dirt and dog hair lifted from the carpets, then vacuum.
- Don't use circular motions while cleaning the exterior body of your car. Use gentle, zigzag motions.
- Don't overuse and waste water. Only use the amount of water that you need.
We hope that these tips will help the next time you head out to wash your own car. If your vehicle is due for a service or repair, don't hesitate to give us a call here at ASR Automotive or stop by our shop today.